New Bedford Parks, Recreation & Beaches
Skip to nav
Job Opportunities & More!
GET INVOLVED WITH
NEW BEDFORD PARKS,
RECREATION & BEACHES
SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES:
Are you or someone you know looking for a Summer Job? Do you want a fun way to spend your summer? New Bedford Parks Recreation & Beaches has a variety of summer jobs for New Bedford residents! We offer over 75 seasonal positions from entry level to professional.
WATERFRONT & LIFEGUARDS: Most positions run June through Labor Day
**Must possess American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguard, Community First Aid and Safety, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED**
• Waterfront Supervisor – *Must possess a valid MA driver’s license* Responsible for the supervision and safety of the public at City beaches, including the supervision of other lifeguard staff. Minimum 18 years old. Up to 40 hours/week
• Asst. Waterfront Supervisor – *Must possess a valid MA driver’s license* Responsible for the safety of the public at City beaches. Assumes the role of Waterfront Supervisor in his/her absence. Minimum 18 years old. Up to 40 hours/week
• Head Lifeguard – *Must possess a valid MA driver’s license* Responsible for the safety of the public at City beaches. Assumes the role of Asst. Lifeguard Supervisor in his/her absence. Minimum 16 years old. Up to 40 hours/week
• Lifeguard – Ensures patrons’ safety and protects lives by preventing and responding to emergencies. Minimum 16 years old. Up to 40 hours/week
KENNEDY SUMMER DAY PROGRAM: Most positions run late June through August
• Program Director – Responsible for supervising all Summer Day Program staff, which includes: Assistant Program Director, Group Leaders and Counselors. Plans, supervises, coordinates, directs, and sets program activities with the assistance of staff. Responsible for working with parents and children, evaluating and disciplining participants and staff, and supervising day-to-day activities. Minimum 21 years old. Up to 40 hours/week
• Assistant Program Director – Responsible for supervising all Summer Day Program staff, which includes: Group Leaders and Counselors. The Assistant Director assists the Director in planning, supervising, and coordinating program activities with the assistance of staff. Responsible for maintaining all registration forms, medication information, parent notes, etc. related to the program. Minimum 18 years old. Up to 40 hours /week
• Group Leader – Oversees age-specific group of campers, plans/organizes daily activities for the Summer Day Program and supervises Counselors. Minimum 16 years old. Up to 35 hours/week
• Counselor – Works directly with age-specific camper groups, taking part in all activities and ensuring the safety of the children in all activities. Also acts as Bus Monitor and is directly responsible for the safety of children getting on and off the bus at their proper stop. Ensures the children have someone at the stop to escort them home. Minimum 16 years old. Up to 35 hours/week
• KSDP Nurse – Responsible for providing nursing services to all program participants and staff during program hours and program management, consistent with Massachusetts guidelines, regulations and statutes governing nursing practices. Must have a current Massachusetts LPN (RN preferred) license to practice as a nurse and maintain certification in CPR/AED. Minimum 21 years old. Up to 35 hours/week
PLAY IN THE PARK and SUMMER FOOD PROGRAM (Parks and Playgrounds) - Most positions run late June through August
• Site Monitor Supervisor - *Must possess a valid MA driver’s license* Performs a variety of tasks associated with the Summer Food Service Program. Coordinates daily activities, oversees Site Monitors, conducts administrative tasks and record keeping, coordinates with food service provider, and visits all Summer Food Service Program sites as needed for oversight of the program. Minimum 18 years old. This position begins in May with a flexible schedule. Up to 35 hours/week
• Site Monitor - *Must possess a valid MA driver’s license* Performs a variety of tasks associated with the Summer Food Service Program. Visits each site to ensure that rules and regulations are being followed and is responsible for the completion of paperwork required for reimbursement grant. Reports any violations of guidelines to the SFSP Director and re-trains staff as needed. Minimum 18 years old. One Site Monitor will begin in April with a flexible schedule to assist with program set-up. Up to 35 hours/week
• Site Supervisor – Performs a variety of tasks associated with the Summer Food Service Program. Serves breakfast, lunch and/or snacks at each designated site, and completes daily paperwork for calculating the meal counts. Also participates in activities with the children before and/or between meals with activities provided by the Parks Recreation & Beaches Department. Minimum 16 years old. Lottery position (must attend mandatory orientation in order to be considered for hire). Up to 15 hours/week
• Van Driver – *Must possess a valid MA driver’s license* Is responsible for the safe transportation of all food to summer food sites. Minimum 21 years old. Up to 35 hours/week
• Van Aide – Delivers meals to sites, follows the planned recreation schedule and alerts the Site Supervisor and Area Site Coordinator of any problems. Must follow all food handling procedures. Minimum 16 years old. Up to 35 hours/week
PARK AMBASSADOR - position will run June to September at a minimum
Patrol assigned park area and assured the safety and security of guests and City property. Provide information, instructions, and assistance to the public regarding park rules, programs, facility usage, and history. Maintain daily logs and prepare incident and safety reports. Must be available weekends. Up to 30 hours per week
BEACH PARKING PROGRAM - Most positions run late June through Labor Day
• Beach Lot Supervisor - Collects fees and tickets. Maintains an accurate log of daily sales. Provides security within assigned areas. Maintains parking lots to ensure they are kept clean and orderly. Supervises Beach Lot Attendants. Minimum 18 years old. Up to 40 hours/week
• Beach Lot Attendant – Ensures all cars parked in beach parking lots have purchased and/or displayed parking pass. Keeps hourly/daily count of all vehicles entering the beach facilities. Keeps parking lots clear of trash and debris. Minimum 16 years old. Up to 40 hours/week
Apply early to be considered in the 1st round of selections!
2021 Summer Job Applications
TEACHERS/INSTRUCTORS, SPORTS & FITNESS COACHES and VOLUNTEERS:
Are you a volunteer, certified instructor, teacher, coach, or fitness expert looking for a rewarding experience? We are looking to add skilled freelance vendors to lead programs that would benefit the community. Vendors would have access to the McCoy Rec Center and any of our outdoor courts, fields, and parks! We are looking to offer programs in any of the following areas:
• S.T.E.A.M. Education: inspire children to learn about Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math (we have our own computer lab)
• Group Fitness: All types/ages, Boot Camp, Cardio Dance, Aerobics, Yoga, etc.
• Arts, Crafts, & Games: Draw, Paint, Play chess, checkers, cards, Lego Educational Activities etc.
• Theatre: Our stage allows students to perform, recite poetry, act, sing, dance etc.
• Music: Singing Lessons, playing an instrument, chorus, reading/understanding music fundamentals
• Dance: All types …hip/hop, ballroom, ballet, jazz, swing, Line, Country Western, etc.
• Health & Wellness: Nutrition & Weight Loss, Smoking Cessation, etc.
• Life Skills: Financial Literacy, Resume Writing, Leadership Skills, Sewing & Mending etc.
• Safety Skills: 1st Aid, CPR, AED Certifications
• Indoor & Outdoor Sports/Games: Coach/Teach various youth sports
• Other: Please let us know if you would like to lead a program that is not listed above!
• Vendor’s must be at least 18 years of age.
• Instructors shall be certified in area of instruction where applicable.
• Criminal background checks are required for all instructors and on-site representatives of Vendor. (PRB will provide this service).
• Cover Letter and Resume with Educational & Work Experience must be submitted with references
• Typed outline of activities to be covered in the program.
• Vendor is responsible for completing an IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certificate) and returning it with the signed contract.
• Salaries are negotiable.
If you are interested in becoming a vendor at the Andrea McCoy Recreation Center please contact us or come visit us in person to take the next step in the process!
The department of Parks, Recreation & Beaches provides a variety of opportunities to help you on your career path. If you are interested in working with children, marketing, community involvement or project planning, then consider an internship with us! In all cases, you’ll help support our vital operations that have an impact on the community’s quality of life—a very rewarding experience! Please Contact us for more information about our available internships at 508-961-3015.
STAY CONNECTED: Create an account (free) to receive email updates or, you can email us at email@example.com
Additional Forms and Files: